Requesting a writer with access to Mumby, D. K. (2013). Organizational communication: A critical approach. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Read “In the Name of Love”
along with Ch. 14 in our textbook, then answer the following questions in essay form
(only use these sources above)
1. What were your initial thoughts after reading this article? How did this article make you feel? Explain.
2. According to the author, who benefits from the “Do What You Love” (DWYL) mantra, and how?
3. Conversely, who does the DWYL mantra harm, and how?
4. The author discusses Steve Jobs as an “evangelist of DWYL.” Why does she point out the “great variety of work that allowed Jobs to spend even one day as CEO”? That is, what (or whose) work is she highlighting, and why?
5. According to the author, how do adjunct professors and unpaid interns each represent the harm caused by the DWYL ideology?
6. Review the 6 criteria for how we define “meaningful work” in Ch. 14 of your textbook. Based on what you’ve read, do you think passion/love for your work is necessary for that work to be meaningful? Explain your answer.
7. Of the 6 criteria for meaningful work, is there one that you would rank as most important to you personally? Which one of the criteria is least important to you? Explain your answer.