HA 500. Health Services System
The questions provided in this assignment are designed to enable you to show that you have a solid grasp of the most significant issues regarding the health services system. If you are able to respond to all the questions satisfactorily, you have demonstrated that you have a solid high-level grasp of how the health services system functions.
In answering the essay questions below, follow the guidance provided in the parentheses for each question. Use 12-point font and single-spaced spacing.
1. What is managed care?
2. From the hypothetical data given below,
a. Compute crude birth rates for 2010 and 2015.
b. Compute crude death rates for 2010 and 2015.
c. Compute cancer mortality rates for 2010 and 2015.
d. Answer the following questions:
i. Did the infant death rates improve between 2010 and 2015?
ii. What conclusions can you draw about the demographic change in this population?
iii. Have efforts to prevent death from heart disease been successful in this population?
Number of live births
Number of infant deaths (birth to one year)
Number of total deaths
Deaths from heart disease
Deaths from cancer
3. Discuss the main ways in which current delivery of health care has become corporatized. See Chapter 3 in text. Answer should be half-page to one page long.)
4. For each category of health care professional listed below, briefly describe their roles, training, practice requirements, and practice settings.
Health Care Professional
Certified nurse midwives
5. What are the major distinctions between primary care and specialty care?
6. Provide brief descriptions of: a) clinical information systems; b) administrative information systems; and c) decision support systems in health care delivery.
7. Discuss the general concepts of insurance. Briefly describe each of the following types of private health insurance options, pointing out the differences among them: Group insurance, self-insurance, individual private health insurance, managed care plans.
8. Why is it important for hospital administrators to regard outpatient care as a key component of their overall business strategy?
9. Using the data below for the operations of two hospitals, answer the following questions: (See Chapter 8 in text to obtain information on how your analysis should be carried out.)
a. Calculate the following measures for each hospital (wherever appropriate, calculate the measure for each pay type). Discuss the meaning and significance of each measure, and point out the differences between the two hospitals.
i. Hospital capacity
iii. Occupancy rate
b. Operationally, which hospital is performing better? Why?
c. Do you think the non-profit hospital is meeting its service obligations to the community in exchange for its tax-exempt status? Give reasons for your answer.
d. Do you think the hospitals have a problem with excess capacity? If so, what would you recommend?
Calendar Year 2015
Nonprofit Community Hospital (A)
Proprietary Community Hospital
Number of beds in operation
Total hospital days
Total inpatient revenues
Dollar value of charity care
10. What is an HMO? How does it differ from a PPO? (See Chapter 9 in text. Answer should be one-half to one page long.)
11. What are the main goals of community-based and institution-based long-term care services?
12. What are the characteristics and concerns of the homeless population?
13. What are some of the reasons for increased health care costs that are attributed to the providers of medical care?
14. Describe the critical health policy issues related to access to care, cost of care, and quality of care?