“Topic 7: How Useful is Second Language Acquisition Research for Language Teaching?” (https://repository.upenn.edu/wpel/vol33/iss1/1/)
1. How does the grammar translation method work?
2. How does the audiolingual method work?
3. How does the communicative approach work?
4. Reflecting on your instructed language learning experience, which method(s) did your teachers use?
5. Overall, how much has SLA research influenced language teaching?
“SLA in Uncertain Times: Disciplinary Constraints, Transdisciplinary Hopes” (Ortega, 2018)
6. How can multilingualism be unequal/inequitable?
7. How is multilingualism “fuzzy”/gradient?
8. Ortega explains that in research, second language acquisition is often framed negatively in comparison to first language acquisition – what is an example of this?
9. What is the common conceptualization/ideal of language in SLA research?
10. What is one way that SLA research could be improved, according to Ortega?