NUTRITION AND HYDRATION /PERSISTENT VEGETATIVE STATE (PVS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yxIRjW9x7w&t=3437s BIO 603 3 24 18
ERD 32, 33, 34, 56, 57, 58
1. Cure / care: compare and contrast.
2. Basic care: Nutrition, hydration, shelter, human interaction. Are we morally obliged to this? Why? Example
3. Swallow test, describe; when is it indicated?
4. When is medically assisted N/H indicated?
a. Briefly describe Enteral Nutrition (EN), including:
i. NJ tube
ii. NG tube
b. Briefly describe Parenteral Nutrition (PN), including:
i. Total parenteral nutrition
ii. Partial parenteral nutrition
5. Bioethical analysis of N/H; state the basic principle and briefly describe the two exceptions.
6. Case Study: Terry Schiavo (EXCEL FILE IN CANVAS). Provide a brief bioethical analysis of her case; should we continue with the PEG or not? Why yes or why not?