Reasons for Interest in Topic Area:
1) wanting to understand the factors that lead men and women employers to pay a women less than a men for a position that has the same or similar duties.
2) wanting to know how the wage gap affect women’s current and future living standards
My goal is to bring awareness on how the gender wage gap works, and how it affects women in the long term, in the hopes that changes can be made to reduce/eliminate it.
Problems or Ideas:
1) What are the gender stereotypes used by employers that create the wage gap?
2) Is worked performed by women valued differently than men’s?
3) Does expressing intent by a women to have children hinder hiring or wage?
4) Do employers create this wage gap consciously? Or, subconsciously?
5) Does this gap lead to women being less wealthy and therefore have less financial means and opportunities?
6) How can we reduce/eliminate this gap?