1. When certain hazardous chemicals are stored or mixed together,
violent reactions can occur. Section 7 of the new GHS Safety Data Sheet
includes a section describing any chemical incompatibilities. Reflect on
the importance of this section and a general understanding of chemical
incompatibility in the workplace. What tool do you currently use and
intend to use to evaluate chemical reactivity and incompatibility in
2. Recall and reflect on a hazmat incident that has occurred in your
lifetime. Describe that incident and detail the tools or resources that
you would use as a first responder to evaluate the chemicals that were
involved in the incident.
Your journal entry must be at least 200 words. No references or citations are necessary.
3. For this assignment, you will compose an essay about the concept
of chemical incompatibility including practical information involving
two common chemical products.
· Choose bleach (a base) and another household chemical product that
is an acid and review the product labels. You can access product labels
and Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information on the Internet.
· Record each product’s chemical formulation.
· Review Section 7 of the product SDS and summarize that information
as it relates to the chemical incompatibility and storage of the bleach
and the other product that you chose.
· Next, you will use the U.S. EPA Chemical Mixing Compatibility Chart
and comment on any chemical incompatibilities associated with the
product/chemical(s) that you selected. Include such information as the
chemical reactions that could occur if the two products somehow became
mixed with one another during an emergency response incident. Also,
identify how the chemical properties, uses, and other unique hazards of
these two products can affect the tasks and safety of first responders
(environmental health and safety/fire service professionals) to an
emergency response incident. The chart can be found by clicking here and
scrolling down to page 18. There, you will find a description of the
chart and the chart itself on pp. 20-21. You are not required to read
the rest of the document.
· Summarize and compare the usefulness of the SDS information and the
compatibility chart. Were the two references in agreement, or did you
find that the information was contradictory? Include a discussion on how
you intend to use chemical incompatibility information to keep your
workplace or home safe.