1. Philosophical analysis: How do the stories by Jean Paul Sartre and Albert Camus reflect the philosophy of existentialism?
2. Socio/cultural analysis: What opinion about marriage and gender
roles does Hemingway advance in “The Short Happy Life of Francis
3. Historical analysis: What social dilemmas faced by African
Americans in the 1960s might have inspired Toni Cade Bambara to write
4. Biographical analysis: What events in Salman Rushdie’s life
might have influenced the events in “At the Auction of the Ruby
5. Psychological analysis: How is John Cheever’s “The Swimmer” a metaphor for the psychology of addiction?