Go to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) website and click on Occupational Outlook Handbook (Links to an external site)to explore different career options and find out more about those career options.
1. Pick out two job titles, one which is a low-paying position and one which is a high-paying position. (Remember to include data from the website.)
2. What do you think accounts for the difference in salaries of the different positions? Explain.
3. Explain any careers that look particularly interesting to you and explain why/what interests you about these careers?
4. Discuss anything that surprised you when looking at the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
5. According to the handbook, what sectors of the economy will have the fastest job growth in the future? Include data from the website to support your answers.
6. Also, check the BLS website (www.bls.gov (Links to an external site.)) to see what the Unemployment Rate is in the U.S. right now. How does this unemployment rate reflect the current U.S. economic situation (where we are in the business cycle)? Explain in detail.